Pedal PGH 2012
Sun. Aug 5, 2012 6:00am - 3:00pm EDT
$15.00 - $100.00
- Get Tickets
$15.00 - $100.00
Since 1994 Pedal PGH has been the regionâ€™s leading bicycling event. Originally started by the Community Design Center of Pittsburgh, it has now been taken over by BikePGH to help raise needed funds to fulfill our mission. Over the last 10 years, BikePGH, a member-based grassroots organization, has been working to change Pittsburgh into a bicycle-friendly city. With Pedal PGH, we're aiming to encourage people to get out and get healthy while showcasing our accomplishments from the best seat in the house - your bike.
The event is designed so that riders of all levels can choose their own experience. Whether you're looking for a casual, fun ride or want to crush some miles and hills, there is an option for riders of all ages and fitness levels. You and your friends choose how to explore our neighborhoods, parks, bridges and geography that makes the City so unique.
Many folks have been participating in Pedal PGH for a long time. Since taking over the event, we had the opportunity to restructure and improve it. When Pedal PGH started 19 years ago, there were several bicycling events that took the prime month of August, leaving May for the ride. Since May is unpredictably cold and rainy (and now hosting the Marathon) and those events are no longer happening in August, we've decided to snag the now open late summer spot.
Another major change is the Finish Line Festival. With a combination of vendors and entertainment, this year's Pedal PGH will include a post-ride festival that will further enhance the entire experience and make Pedal PGH a â€œmust doâ€ event.
The most dramatic change for Pedal Pittsburgh is the car-free section where streets will be open only to bicyclists from 6am â€“ 1pm on the South Side. These car-free streets include a stretch of East Carson Street and the entire Birmingham Bridge. Every rider will have the chance to stop on the bridge and take a picture with the downtown skyline as the backdrop. From there participants can choose between three different routes for a scenic tour of the city.
All riders start and finish at the SouthSide Works.
Once you register for the ride in general, you will be able to leave for one of the three routes at the time of your choosing (suggested start times below). You'll be able to pick up your number ahead of time (to skip the day-of lines) or receive your number at the Welcome Tent.
The routes will be clearly marked and marshaled, you'll just need to show up and pedal. Be sure to return for the 11am-3pm Finish Line Festival at the SouthSide Works.
At the Finish Line Festival you can sit back and relax, recount the ride, visit vendors, take in music, grab a beer, buy lunch, and see the high-flying Rise Above BMX Team in action. The Festival is free and open to the public.
Every route will have several Aid stations where you can hydrate, get a snack, rest or socialize (see map below for details).
Please note everyone who registers must e-sign our online waiver and provide accurate emergency contact information. Parent / Guardians must sign for any under-18 participants.
- Car Free (1-18 miles) - In this car-free urban ride youâ€™ll be able to seamlessly link the car-free streets and riverfront trails for up to 18 miles of choose-your-own-adventure flat-terrain fun. Suggested start time: 9am-12pm
- City Tour (25 miles) - Ride on lower traffic streets to explore our diverse neighborhoods from Downtown to Squirrel Hill and places in between. Expect some mild hills. Suggested start time: 7am-8:30am
- Metric Century (63 miles) - A more challenging ride that takes you through even more neighborhoods. We've added a few climbs for your cycling and scenic pleasure. Suggested start time: 6am-7am.
The MapClick image to enlarge
"City Tour" option returns to the SouthSide Works after Downtown. Click image to enlarge
The ScheduleThrough Aug 4, 3pm
- Register online
Saturdays, July 28 or Aug 4
- Skip the lines and pick up your number in advance at REI in the SouthSide Works. You'll also be able to register in person here as well.
Sunday, Aug 5 - Pedal PGH
- 5:30am-12pm: Welcome Tent is open to pick up your number or for day-of registration
- 6am-1:30pm: E. Carson St and Birmingham Bridge closed to cars
- 6am-7am: Suggested Metric Century start
- 7am-8:30am: Suggested City Tour start
- 9am-12pm: Suggested Car Free start
- 11am-3pm: Finish Line Festival
Driving and Parking DirectionsPedal PGH will start and finish at the SouthSide Works, located at 2730 Sidney Street, Pittsburgh, PA 15203.
Click here for directions from Google Maps
NOTE: Due to the event, the Birmingham Bridge and E. Carson St between 22nd St and 26th St will be closed, so be sure to plan your route accordingly.
Need to rent a bike for the day?
Check out Golden Triangle Bike Rental.
The JerseysAvailable for purchase at check out. Custom made for you, ships to your door in 6 weeks.
Comment & Discuss
Angela K B
Angela K B